Example of Typical Savings by using the Bike to Work
Bike to Work Scheme
In January 2009, the Irish government launched the Bike to Work scheme. This scheme allows for taxpayers in Ireland to claim tax relief on bicycles and accessories purchased for commuting to work. The Bike Shop is an approved retailer under this scheme and can handle all your Bike to Work queries.
Why Bike to Work?
You may well ask yourself why you should even consider cycling to work. Well, it's healthy - exercise is good for us and most of us are not getting as much of it as we should. The health benefits of cycling include better heart health, lower weight, better energy levels. It's also economical - a bike costs much less than a car to buy. There's no tax and insurance, and maintenance costs can be as little as €50 per year. The only fuel you need is what you eat. And it's eco friendly. Bikes have a much smaller impact on the environment than cars or public transport.
What can I get?
All bicycles we sell are covered by the scheme. Additionally, the following safety related accessories are covered:
- Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
- Bells and bulb horns
- Lights, including dynamo packs
- Mirrors and mudguards
- Cycle clips and dress guards
- Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
- Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
- Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
- Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors.
To participate in the scheme, your employer needs to register for the scheme. You can then talk to us about the bike and equipnment that best meets your needs. We will give you a written quotation which you return to your employer. You will be issued with a purchase voucher which you can use to collect your new bike and accessories.